Submitted by Downtown Camas Association
Decorated pumpkins will fill merchant locations as costumed Harry Potter fans fill the streets in Downtown Camas for October’s First Friday, October 7, 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. Festivities will include voting for the “People’s Pumpkin” award, Harry Potter and fall crafts and activities, a themed photo op, treats, dining, shopping, music and a Harry Potter costume contest with prizes.
This First Friday will also feature a ribbon cutting at 5 p.m. for Bookish, the new independent children’s and young adult bookstore located at 335 NE 5th Ave in Downtown Camas. Along with a wide variety of books and gifts, Bookish also offers community story times and craft activities throughout the week.
Additional First Friday activities include:
- 17th Annual “Pumpkin Pageant”: Participating downtown businesses will each have a carved or decorated pumpkin vying for the “People’s Pumpkin” award. Vote for the favorite and enter to win a fall-themed prize basket donated by downtown merchants. The merchant that wins the “People’s Pumpkin” award also receives a prize.
- Harry Potter Costume Contest: People of all ages are invited to show off their best Harry Potter costumes. Prizes will be given for Best Costume Winners and Runners up for adults and children, as well as a prize for Best Group Costume. The contest starts at 7pm in Journey Church, 304 NE 4th. Sign up that night in Journey between 5 p.m. and 6:45 p.m.
- Kids Crafts include Harry Potter inspired wand making with the Artisans’ Guild of Camas, decorative masquerade masks with the Camas Educational Foundation, and fall crafts at LiveWell Camas with the Girl Scouts.
- Harry Potter themed games including “Indoor Quidditch,” “Catch the Snitch,” and “Free The House Elf.”
- Harry Potter Photo Op for all the “wizards and muggles.”
- Art shows can be enjoyed in the many Downtown Camas galleries including the Second Story Gallery inside the Camas Library, Camas Gallery at 408 NE 4th, and Attic Gallery 421 NE Cedar.
- Fall inspired shopping, dining and live music throughout downtown.
“Each year we’re surprised at the quality of pumpkin pageantry our merchants continue to produce. This is such a fun event for all ages!” says Carrie Schulstad, Executive Director of the Downtown Camas Association (DCA). “Harry Potter is such a popular theme, and we’re excited to bring back the costume contest this year. The Harry Potter theme also ties in well with the ribbon cutting of our new children’s and young adult bookstore, Bookish! There will be something for everyone! Come down and support our wonderful merchants in Downtown Camas.”
First Fridays are Art, Activities, Dining, and After Hours Shopping themed family friendly events coordinated by the DCA each month of the year to support downtown and to create connections in the community. For all the information, visit the Downtown Camas Association website and Facebook page.