Submitted by Downtown Camas Association
A family friendly celebration of Camas history and the coming of spring is coming to the Downtown Camas First Friday on April 5. The theme is “Spring into History” and showcases Camas history in fun and engaging ways. The event runs from 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., hosted by the Downtown Camas Association (DCA) and downtown merchants with s’mores roasting generously sponsored by iQ Credit Union.
- Play the “Guess About Camas” history game around town, learn about Camas, and be entered to win prizes
- Two Rivers Heritage Museum will be on hand with local historic artifacts and to share stories about our town’s unique history. You’ll be able to learn more about the new gathering place at the museum. They will be in Journey, 304 NE 4th .
- Mill historians will help you make paper and you can also view mill artifacts and mill history videos at the Mill Interpretive Center, 401 NE Adams.
- New this year: Do the “History Course” and earn tickets to win. The “course” consists of the GP Toilet paper Toss, Camas Cornhole, Camas History Plinko, the Prune Drop and the Camas Chalkboard Challenge. Win each of the games in the history “course” and get a roll of GP toilet paper. 10 rolls that night will have a golden egg in them which wins a paper prize package. Everyone who does the “course” is entered to win a grand paper prize package sponsored by Georgia Pacific. This course will teach people about our important Camas history while they are having fun doing it.
- Make s’mores with iQ Credit Union (weather permitting)
- Art Shows and receptions at all our art galleries: Attic Gallery, 421 NE Cedar; Camas Gallery, 408 NE 4th, & Second Story Gallery at the Camas library.
- Natalia’s Cafe, 437 NE 4th, will be offering “retro” prices with hamburger and fries $4.99, hot dog and fries $3.99, milkshakes or malts $2.99.
- Play Legacy Squares to name famous Camasonians and earn tickets to win prizes.
- Taste the candy that was created in 1967, the year our beautiful, large trees were planted along 4th Ave.
- Guess the “Spring Candy Eggs” jar—the closest guess wins the candy jar.
- Kids’ crafts: fun tribute to our history—make a paper Millie dog and Spring Newspaper Snails
- After Hours shopping and dining specials and treats all throughout downtown
Pick up your participation and activity list at Journey to start the evening.
“We are going to have so many activities that will make learning about our town’s history fun!” says Carrie Schulstad, director of the DCA. “It is so important for our children and new people moving to town to know about why Camas is the way it is. Our wonderful town didn’t “just happen” and we love telling the Camas story and why the mill created who we are today. Come learn and enjoy our town with us!”
First Fridays are family-friendly Art, Activities, Dining, and After Hours Shopping events coordinated by the DCA each month of the year to bring community together and encourage connections and patronage of downtown. For all the information, visit https://downtowncamas.com/event/april-first-friday-spring-history and www.facebook.com/camasfirstfriday .