Submitted by Downtown Camas Association
Summer Fun & Flamingos returns to Downtown Camas as the theme for the August First Friday, August 5, 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. Activities will include family-friendly flamingo inspired games and crafts, a new business ribbon cutting, featured artists in Downtown Camas galleries, flamingo wear, after hours shopping, dining specials, and live music. This event is hosted by the Downtown Camas Association (DCA) and downtown merchants.
Join the Ribbon Cutting and Grand Opening Celebration starting at 5pm for William & Son Jewelers located at 210 NE 4th Ave. This new full-service jewelry store offers custom designs and an assortment of fine pieces for all occasions as well as repair and battery replacements services while you wait.
Pink flamingos will flock downtown compliments of the Camas Grad Night Flamingo Flocking Fundraiser. Find out how to flock a friend with this revered tradition and support Grad Night, the drug free/alcohol free party after graduation for the graduating seniors of Camas, Discovery, and Hayes Freedom High Schools and Camas Connect Academy.
Other First Friday activities include:
- Play the word game “What’s The Flamingo Say” in downtown businesses to win prizes donated by downtown merchants.
- Dress in flamingo or summer themed attire & be entered to win a flashy flamingo themed prize
- Flamingo inspired Games throughout town and crafts in LiveWell Camas, 417 NE Birch. Games around town include: Flamingo Water Races, Tropical Toss-it-In, Flamingo Plinko, Summer Spin-the-Wheel, Flamingo Croquet and more. All games and crafts are free and fun for all ages.
- Art Shows and Receptions at Attic Gallery, 421 NE Cedar featuring artist Sandra Jones Campbell and Camas Gallery, 408 NE 4th, featuring artist Randy Cole. Second Story Gallery, upstairs at the Camas Library, 625 NE 4th, will also be open showcasing local student art by Camas and Hayes Freedom High Schools.
- Live outdoor music at Nuestra Mesa, 228 NE 4th Avebue
- After hours shopping and dining specials throughout town
“Let your flamingo flag fly and bring us your brightest and boldest attire!” says Leah Nichelson, newly appointed Event and Project Manager for the DCA. “It’s such a joy to see the people come together and enjoy their community at First Friday. I’m looking forward to seeing all the fabulous flamingo themed costumes! This event has something for all walks of life, from the family of game players to the serious art and music connoisseur. Everyone can enjoy their community and celebrate summer in our wonderful downtown.”
First Fridays are family-friendly themed Art, Activities, Dining, and After-Hours Shopping events coordinated by the DCA each month to bring the community together and to help the town thrive. For all the information, visit the Downtown Camas Association website and the Camas First Friday Facebook page.